halpin haywards logo
Copper-Silver Ionisation​


Copper-Silver Ionisation: A Water Disinfection Method

Water is an essential element for life, and chlorine has been widely used as a disinfectant for water treatment. However, more recently, the use of copper-silver ionisation has gained popularity in water treatment. Copper-silver ionisation is a method of disinfection in which copper and silver electrodes are immersed in the water supply to produce positively charged metal ions that kill harmful microorganisms.


The Benefits of Copper-Silver Ionisation

Copper-silver ionisation has several advantages over traditional disinfection methods. For one, it eliminates the need for chlorine or other harsh chemicals that can cause skin irritation or other health problems. Additionally, it’s highly effective at killing bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens without producing harmful byproducts like chloramines or trihalomethanes (TTHMs). This makes it an ideal solution for treating large volumes of water that are used in hospitals, hotels, or other commercial settings where cleanliness is critical.

Another benefit of copper-silver ionisation is its long-lasting effect on water quality. Unlike chlorine-based treatments that quickly dissipate once added to the water supply, copper-silver ions continue to provide protection against contaminants long after they’re introduced to the system. In fact, many facilities using this technology report improved water quality and fewer cases of Legionnaires’ disease – a deadly infection caused by Legionella bacteria that often thrives in hot tubs and cooling towers.


Challenges with Copper-Silver Ionisation

While copper-silver ionisation is generally regarded as safe and effective, there are some challenges associated with this technology. One major concern is the potential toxicity of heavy metals like copper and silver when they’re present in high concentrations in drinking water supplies. Although most systems use very low levels (typically less than 0.1 mg/L) of these metals to achieve their disinfection goals, long-term exposure to even small amounts of copper or silver can cause health problems like liver damage or neurological disorders.

Another challenge of using copper-silver ionisation is that it requires regular maintenance to ensure that the equipment is functioning properly. For example, electrodes need to be regularly cleaned or replaced to prevent mineral buildup and ensure that the system is producing enough ions to disinfect the water supply effectively.

Overall, copper-silver ionisation is a promising technology for effective water disinfection, particularly in settings where conventional chlorine treatments may not be practical or desirable. While there are some challenges associated with this technology, ongoing research and development could help address these concerns and pave the way for broader adoption of copper-silver ionisation in water treatment processes.